The Mission of the Humane Society of Montgomery County Texas is to promote the humane treatment of animals through community education and supporting responsible pet/animal ownership.
Did you know?
- 6 to 8 million cats and dogs enter shelters each year
- 3 to 4 million cats and dogs are adopted from shelters each year
- 2.7 million adoptable cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters each year
- 30 percent of shelter dogs are reclaimed by their owners
- 2 to 5 percent of shelter cats are reclaimed by their owners
Statistics taken from The Humane Society of The United States.
You can help reduce these statistics by making sure that your pets get the adequate care they require.
Helpful tips for pet owners:
- Feed the appropriate amounts of food to your pet at least 1-2 times a day
- Be sure your pet has plenty of water, especially in the heat of summer.
- Make arrangements if you have to go out of town, or to a medical facility, that someone can take care of your pets: neighbors, family, kennels, or the Ruff House.
- If your dog is on a chain or a cable, check to be sure they can reach their food and water, and that they won’t get tangled up in trees, bushes, or choke themselves.
- Keep a collar on your pets, or have them chipped with a virtual ID. This makes sure that your pets can be returned to you if they get lost.
- And lastly, if you notice a neglected animal (no food, no water, extremely thin, or no one has been around for days) please contact your local SPCA and have them investigate the situation.
For more helpful information for pet owners, visit our blog and keep up with the latest tips!